Do you love to explore cultures in order to discover people’s needs?
Do you have a talent for revealing deep user-insights?
Do you see design and innovation opportunities everywhere you look?
– Then join us in our studio in Stuttgart as
SENIOR DESIGN RESEARCHER (m/f)
Who are we?
Phoenix Design is one of the leading independent design studios in the world. More than 750 design awards (1st place – iF Ranking Creative Design Offices) are living testimony to our excellent quality. Our success is mainly based on our exceptional team – our designers, strategists, technologists, and model makers collaborate on projects from various industries: Consumer Electronics, Sanitary Equipment, Medical Technology, Industry and Transportation. With our broad spectrum of international clients, you will be provided with a wide range of development opportunities.
At Phoenix Design we pursue a holistic concept, characterized by a user-oriented and brand-representative design and offer you a career option tailored to meet your personal needs. We are convinced that motivated and highly qualified individuals create great dynamics. Our teams complement each other by following an interdisciplinary approach, creating room for constant evolvement.
What will you be doing?
As a Senior Design Researcher you will be responsible for designing, planning, leading, coordinating and conducting a colourful range of design- and innovative research activities - all that as an integral part of our design-teams. From desktop-research to qualitative field research tours, you will use all your capabilities and experience as a researcher to discover those valuable ‘nuggets’ of insights deeply buried somewhere in the many findings you generate during your work. With your talent for identifying and formulating strategic design- and innovation opportunities, you will either lead or support interdisciplinary projects of all kinds. Regardless of whether the task is observing an unboxing-experience or visiting extreme-users in foreign countries for a service-design project – your creativity, critical thinking, verbal acuity and presentation skills will inspire our C-level clients when you present your research-work to innovate their products, services, brands and businesses.
What do we expect from you?
- 4+ years of professional experience, preferably in an international setting and preferably in a design- and innovation environment, either
- Solid knowledge of and experience with design- and innovation processes, design-thinking methods and collaboration with product- and interaction designers
- Academic degree in Product-/Interaction-Design with a focus on design-research or academic degree in relevant social-sciences (e.g. Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Cultural Studies) with a focus on Design- & Innovation
- Capable of managing interdisciplinary, research-driven innovation/IXD/UX projects as project-leader or supporting teams, as a research-lead
- Extensive knowledge of and confident work-experience in planning, organising, designing, coordinating and conducting qualitative research activities using a broad range of qualitative user-research methods with a proven track-record of field-research tours and activities under your belt
- Capability of understanding research-requirements for design-project deliverables and transforming this knowledge creatively into qualitative research preparations which includes (but is not limited to) writing recruitment screeners and discussion guides, as well as designing original and creative stimulus materials and methods
- Natural curiosity and dedication to quickly acquire expert knowledge across a range of varying subject matters, plus strong desktop-research and academic research skills across a range of varying subject-matters
- Broad and comprehensive knowledge about socio-cultural, technology and innovation trends, and capability to explain their relevance in the context of brands and businesses
- Keen observation capabilities paired with a winning personality, pronounced empathy, and a talent to steer conversations with emotional eloquence and confident moderation skills
- Outstanding analysis and interpretation skills and method-set to make sense of relevant research findings by either relating them to existing academic discourses, thought-models and theories or by developing, formulating and visualising your own thought-models, hypotheses and point of views inspired by analogous knowledge from other fields
- Talent for revealing relevant patterns to discover truly surprising insights, reducing and synthesising these into meaningful, high-level strategic opportunity areas relevant for the project and the client business or brand
- Outstanding instinct, intellect and critical thinking capabilities for constructing and formulating robust research arguments to successfully communicate the relevance of research activities and research results for design, brands and businesses
- Outstanding talent for transforming complexity into strong, simple and inspiring messages, visuals and inspiring storytelling, as well as planning, creating, staging, discussing and defending research insights in C-level client presentations and internal meetings to convincingly brief designers
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in at least both, English and German (native Chinese language skills are a definitive plus) that expresses itself in dense, witty and inspiring prose and PowerPoint presentations (and other written documents) with substantial messages that are to the point
- High levels of motivation, self-determination, endurance and resilience, plus strong work ethic to deliver high-quality results on time by making smart, efficient prioritization
- Courage, Willingness and Leadership capabilities to travel internationally to conduct field-research, often with clients and other partners
What can you expect from us?
- Permanent position in an attractive environment
- Freedom to develop yourself professionally
- Further training through workshops and courses as well as trade show and congress attendances
- Regular team events (e.g. skiing, lunch talks, barbecues on our panorama terrace and many more)
- You will be part of a team that doesn’t only emphasize competence but also attaches great value to team spirit and an amicable way of working together
Do you want to become a Phoenix?
Please let us also know the earliest possible date to join our team.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!